Monday, May 5, 2008

Success sleeping through the night and Crib anxiety

I'm happy to report that we have had two weeks of successful sleeping through the night and it has been wonderful! No middle of the night cries or anything. I think it might have to do with David starting to sleep on his tummy. No, I don't lay him down on his stomach, but every morning when I wake him up, sure enough, he is on his tummy.

Another weird thing has started to happen that coincides with the sleeping through the night. David has developed terrible crib anxiety. We used to be able to lay David in the crib while he was awake and he would fall asleep on his own (wasn't I a proud parent). Now, even when we lay him in the crib totally asleep, the minute he hits the crib he SCREAMS...for at least an hour. It all started when I decided to give David naps in the crib. Previously, he would only nap if we were holding him or on the couch. Since he's been a terrible napper at daycare, I decided to get him to nap in the crib. Well, every weekend we put him down and he cries anywhere from 1-2 hours before he falls asleep. Well, I think this made him hate the crib because now at night time he sreams too. I don't know what to do to help him. If we go in there and give him a paci, or rub him it only makes things worse.

Anyhow, I'm not too terribly concerned about it because I know, as most things, it's just a phase and will hopefully end soon. It's funny he went from being easy to fall asleep but hard to stay asleep to hard to fall asleep and easy to stay asleep. Zach and I do feel terrible for letting him cry so long and it just kills us, but we really don't know what else to do.

Actually, yesterday when we were trying to get him to nap he was crying so loud we went to check to make sure everything was ok, and he had pulled up on the side of the crib (not to his feet- he can't do that yet) to his knees. Tonight we are lowering the crib mattress just to make sure he doesn't climb out of the crib. What a little stinker!

No comments: