Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Induced Labors

Ok, so I like to read stuff online. I have been reading a lot of induced labor bashing lately. Particularily by lactation consultants and 'all natural' birthing people. So, here is my dish in response.

I had an induced labor- 6 days earlier than my due date and it was WONDERFUL. I BEGGED my doctor to induce me. She ended up agreeing to induce me on my due date if I hadn't gone into labor, but than I complications (baby heart rate decreasing as i had Braxton Hiks contractions) and I had the opportunity to be induced and I jumped on it. Mainly because, I didn't want to be pregnant and I didn't want to work anymore. I was so miserable and especially miserable at work. Sometimes there are other factors built into wanting to go into labor. A lot of companies now, including mine, make you work right up until delivery. Also, my labor went so quickly (2.5 hours) had I not been induced, I think Zach might have missed the whole thing.

That being said, I'm not a basher of natural labor. In fact, mine was, not by choice, more 'natural' than I would have liked. I think labor is different for everyone and there is nothing wrong with induction. For that matter, there is nothing wrong with ceasarians, though I agree not ideall. If you think about it, if we women today all had natual labors like they did back in the day many many more babies would die and mothers too. Modern medicine is a good thing! There's my 2 cents.

3 comments:

Charissa said...

I totally agree! I think I'd jump on the chance for inducing if the Dr. thought it best. It's amazing the things that get bashed especially in the world of pregnancy and birth!

Fainfamilyupdates said...

I wouldn't do inducing again. It didn't work with me, and it caused a lot of frustration (2+ days of getting induced). Maybe I'll feel different when I'm pregnant again but Lee and I both said after the last one that we'd do it differently. I was not a fan of spending that much time in the hospital!

Allyson said...

I agree. I was excited to be induced, but I was SOOOO ready to have those babies! Granted, I was 5 weeks early, but I did not think I could stand another second. I see no reason to bash any way of having a baby. :) I think I would have liked the moment in the middle of the night where you lean over to your husband and whisper, "honey, Its time" and then you calmy get your things together to go to the hospital... Haha! Like that actually happens! I was thrilled to hear "come in tuesday and we will start the induction wednesday". Then again, my kidneys were shutting down, so I didnt have the choice :)