Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sweet Summer Strawberry Cake



I would love to be a great baker. I admit, I have had day dreams of baking fabulously delicious treats for my family to enjoy. I don't share the same desire of cooking- my attitude with that is to just get it done. This past weekend, I baked my first cake. I was ambitious and attempted a triple layer strawberry cake- the recipe came from a Southern Living magazine. Needless to say, it didn't turn out like the picture in the magazine. My first problem was runny icing which I knew how to correct- the directions say add more powdered sugar- but, I just didn't have any more. My main problem that still baffles me is how to make the cakes flat at the top. Notice- my domed shaped cakes do not stack well. Does any one know how to make the cakes come out flat?? I followed the recipe to the T. If you have any advice, please drop a comment.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

This is just not fair- you can't show an 8-month pregnant girl a strawberry cake when she lives 4 hours away!! Especially when she is craving ANYTHING sweet! it looks DELICIOUS!

Fainfamilyupdates said...

I haven't baked many cakes, but on TV they say to cut off the top edge to make it flat...looks yummy!

Charissa said...

I agree with Julia. I'm pretty sure you just slice off the domed part to make it flat.

megan. said...

Here's the trick...yes you do carefully slice off the top of the cake w/ a serrated knife, but you actually stack the cakes w/ the cut side down and the side that was baked in the cake pan up...therefore it's pefectly flat on the top - then stack the next cake (cut side down) ontop of that. If that makes any sense.