Since we've been to WR we have probably visited every church in the city. Most of them are baptist, though both Zach and I enjoyed PCA Presbyterian churches in Atlanta. The only PCA church in WR is a church plant with about [Zach counted] 60 people. We initialy visited this church several times and both really liked the church. The people were very friendly and we felt at home. However, we were concerned, because being in a new town we really want to make new friends via church. With so few people, we thought it might be hard to meet others in our same life position. So then, for several months we visited a somewhat large baptist church in the area. There was a young adults Sunday School class that we attended. We went there for about 3 months and we liked it, but neither of us were sold. They didn't have community groups and they didn't really seem to do any out of church activities so it was hard to get to know the other couples.
Last week, I decided I was tired of being the permanent visitor, so Zach decided we would go to the PCA church one more time and then make a decision. I think we came to the realization that we are not going to find the 'perfect' church. After visiting the PCA plant church one more time we both agreed it was the place for us. Though small, we believe it will grow and hopefully we will make some friends.
On another note, I've been having a real hard time making friends in WR. In fact, I haven't made any. When I was staying at home with David on maternity leave, I attended MOPS and some other moms, but I was only able to go 2 times and it just wasn't enough to make lasting contacts. A couple of the ladies from MOPS did invite me to go to their church's, which is very close to us, Ladies night Bible study on Tuesday, but I just can't go. By the time I get home from work, Zach and I are busy making dinner, cleaning, doing laundry, and playing with David before its bedtime. Also, when David gets home around 6:30 he usually sleeps until 8pm, and I only have about 1.5 hours with him while he is awake the whole day. If I went to the bible study, I would not get to see David at all for the whole day and that just isn't acceptable. Both churches do play groups, but of course they are during the day when I'm working. It seems as everything caters to stay at home moms! What about the working moms out there?? How are we to have communitiy with other moms? Thank goodness for blogs, and my ability to blog at work.
On another note, David is desperately trying to crawl, but failing miserably. He gets so frustrated! I get frustrated for him because when be puts his butt up and moves his legs he puts his head and arms down, and when he has his head and arms up he has his bottom down. I think if he could figure out that he can lift both his bottom and top at the same time he would be crawling. The poor thing tries to move, and then looks at me and whines for me to move him. He does pivot very well. I have a feeling when he does start crawling, he will be chasing the cats. He always tries to crawl the hardest when the cats are close to him! It is funny!
2 comments:
I feel for you Amy! I feel like a permanent visitor in Minnesota...I did find that there is a Phi Mu alumni group here and since it is a southern sorority I'm hoping to meet some girls. What about the night MOPS group? Maybe this new church will have something...I think Sunday late afternoon are ideal for small groups, if only we could tell ours that!
I understand how you feel... I had the hardest time making friends in our area until we joined a church. I think your membership and commitment there will really help- try hosting things at your house- we do that a lot! I wish we lived closer together! It does seem that most groups cater to stay-at-home-moms- no fair!
Post a Comment