Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Your Thermostat

This is a friendly remimder of energy conservation! (can you tell I work for a natural gas company?) Thermastats should be set at:

Summer 78 degrees (80 - 83 when away)
Winter 68 degrees (65 at night)

This helps conserve energy and saves you money on your utility bills. Personally, we actually take it 2 degrees warmer in the summer and keep our thermastat at 80. Yes, it is hot, but even at 80 our bill is still $150- imagine if we kept it cooler? Research on Florida homes showed that summer AC cost increases 12% for each degree the thermostat is lowered below 80 degrees.


These are the industry recommended standards. Use blankets at night!

2 comments:

Fainfamilyupdates said...

We have it on 71 at night--and it still gets super drafty upstairs in our bedrooms (could the sensor be downstairs?)

What do you suggest for babies? Bryce doesn't keep blankets on very well. I just bought a fleecy sleeper I'm going to try.

Rachel said...

We keep it on 65 at night during the winter. Gas is SO expensive. Our bill is still $250 during the winter months. OUCH!