Yeah for the weekend! I've had quite the drama filled week at work, so I'm thankful for the weekend! We don't have too many plans. That should be enjoyable.
Ok, so here is a recap of my drama at work. Let me prefice this by saying that I have flat out plain told my boss that I am not interested in management or moving up and I am happy where I am at. That being said, he always seems to be putting pressure on me to develop my 'career' and talks about where I am going to go next. (which is total opposite of Zach's boss who doesn't give a flip about his career and expects him to sit in the same cube for 30 years- I guess thats the difference between government and private sectors). He's even offered me a promotion and encouraged me to apply for different higher positions, but all would require Atlanta location.
Anyhow, so my boss tells me he's 'selected' (lucky me- I think he uses this term as a form of manipulation) for this training program where I shadow some service center management people and some other people, and some other stuff, and basically it grooms you to become management in the area of operations. My boss says to me 'I know you said your not interested in management but I think thats just because you are busy right now and I know you will be in the future and I think you are a good candidate for this'. He KNOWS what I want?? To make a long story short, it wouldn't be a different position immedietly, just 2 to 3 weeks training in ATL.
Well, I do not want to go out of town for 2 weeks. So, I politely told him I didn't want to leave my baby for 2 weeks so I couldn't do it, even though I was interested. (I wasn't even interested but I don't want to get fired!) Well, here is where it gets ugly, he tells me 'Wayne, Mike, Bruce, and Larry are all willing to go out of town for 2 weeks when need be and they have families. You are not going to get preferential treatment for being a women. That is not a valid excuse for not going out of town'. NICE! So, anyhow, this is coming down the piper and sometime after next January I'll have to do this stupid training, and of course, all while keeping up my responsibilities of my regular job. And I'm supposed to be happy about this??? And, ya'll, my boss is actually a really nice guy, just very serious about work and has very high work expectations from his employees.
I'm considering sticking to my guns and just plain refusing to go. Would he really fire me over it? I'm thinking not, but I guess I could be wrong. Or, should I not ruffle and feathers, and just suck it up any do it so I can continue to get paid so we can continue to pay off debt?
2 comments:
Maybe God is pushing you to the point where you want to quit. I'm 1/2 way joking, but seriously--God is the ultimate provider. When you come to the point where you depend solely on Him, he will provide for your family in ways you never expected.
oh Amy, I am so sorry. That stinks!!
Post a Comment