Monday, October 20, 2008

Another post about my job

Why would a boss select an employee who told him that she was not interested in management to be a part of a management shadowing program?? I figured out why! It's because I'm a girl. Yes, that's right. Out of the three people in the department selected, 2 are black males and 1 female (myself). My boss was having to select minorities. This wouldn't be the first time. Last year I went to a career fair to help recruit and my boss (white male) told me that he was only allowed to hire minorities. As such, his last 3 hires have been minorities (including myself).

It's pretty much a fact now that a white male can no longer get hired by any large corporation. This does not apply to small companies and there are still some that don't practive affirmative action, but they are few and far between. Males that are now in their mid-30's were still able to be hired by large companies but males that are now in their 20's- Zach's generation- haven't stood a chance. Ask any hiring manager you know- it's the truth. And, if you couldn't tell already, I think its just plain unfair. I know understand how the black people felt when they used to be discriminated against. However, in this day, there is now reverse discrimination. (In fact, we think this is why Z didn't get a job he interviewed for at Siemen's back in the day).

Anyhow, I am not racist, but I do admit that I harbor resentment becuase I feel like I have been discriminated against because of being white. For example, I was not able to get any scholarships to college- if I had been black or hispanic, I would have qualified for tons of them. I can understand giving opportunities to those minorities that really do come from an under-privaleged background (like the ghetto), but come on, the ones I saw getting all the big $, were in well-off middle class families, who all had lower SAT scores and grades. Anyhow, there's my rant on that.

Did I mention that all the 'non-minority' resumes received were put in a seperate stack and thrown away with out even being reviewed? Yep. I know becuase I did the resume reviewing!

**I got a phone call TODAY and I MIGHT be receiving a job offer from the base. I don't know any details but will post when and if I get any.

3 comments:

Charissa said...

I completely agree! I had the same problem looking for scholarships when I transferred out to college in Oregon. I wish that color of skin didn't factor into things especially jobs. If someone is qualified more they should get the job.

Fainfamilyupdates said...

Oh, I bet you are excited about the possibilities of being closer to Zach and David + not having to travel as much...is it something you are interested in?

Rachel said...

I dcould not agree more! Affrimative action is reverse racism!!!