Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Quick, Easy, and Cheap Recipe

I've yet to find a cookbook on the market that meets my needs. I want the recipes to be:
1) Quick and Easy
2) Very FEW ingredients
3) Healthy
4) Cheap (this relates to very few ingredients)
If anyone can recommend one, please do. I like to look at recipes on RealSimple.com, but they have lots of ingredients and are $$$. I'm going to make my own cookbook. Meal idea #1:

Ingredients:
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
Wraps
Shredded Cheese- optional

Instructions: Put both cans in pot on stovetop. Put on wraps and (optional) sprinkle on cheese and wrap up. That's it!!

Notice, one of my requirements for the cookbook was not taste great, but really these wraps are not bad. Does anyone have any recommendations on what seasoning I could add to this to make it taste better? I make this a lot (and currently use no seasoning)...

And I'm kidding about doing my own cookbook, but I am frustrated that I can't find one for me.

4 comments:

Meaghan said...

Amy, I like Student's Vegetarian cookbook. There are some great (and very cheap) recipes. I personally really like the dal recipe -- 2 ingredients (plus spices).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761511709/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Hope you are well, Babe!

Charissa said...

My mom and I make cavatini (I have no idea if that's the real name) it's basically shaped noodles, like ziti, sauce, and shredded cheese. You can add ground beef, pepperoni, or sausage if you want. Basically you cook the noodles. Then in a casserole dish put a little pasta sauce on the bottim then layer a noodles, sauce (meat is desired), mozarella, noodles, sauce, mozarella, until casserole dish is full. Then just bake at 350 until cheese is melted.

Fainfamilyupdates said...

if you want to add flavor mix in salsa instead of tomatoes? we are eating very cheaply too--i'm always up for ideas!

Katie Paisley said...

Try tabasco sauce or use the diced tomatoes that have chilies in them.
Rice would also be a good hearty (cheap) addition.