I'm hoping to have a better week this week than last week! Whoa, last week was rough! First of, Z was out of town. It started off Tuesday AM David was sick coughing and wheezing and couldn't breath. I took him to daycare and they said he couldn't stay so I took the day off. I stayed home w/ him and took him to the doctor. She said he had bronchitis and asthma. (though not 'officially' asthma because he's too young for that diagnosis but they treat it as asthma) THANK GOODNESS Mimi saved the day and came in town Tuesday afternoon to care for David. Mimi woke me up in the middle of the night saying we had to go to the hospital because David couldn't breathe. I thought she was exagerating at first, but when I finally got up, really I was scared to death. He was seriously gasping and couldn't talk. So we spent from 2am to 5am in the ER. His diagnosis was bronchitis with bronchiospasms and asthma. He had an X-ray and they said it was 'borderline' pnuemonia' with little fluid on the lung. We got more meds and went home. I got up for work 1 hour later at 6AM- man was I tired that day.
So, the 'mommy guilt' is on full force for me. All the doctors told me that it is likely he is having these asthma episodes because he had RSV as an infant (was hospitalized at 4 months old). RSV causes asthma in over 80% of the children that have it as infants. I know if he wasn't in day care he wouldn't have had RSV and most likely wouldn't have this asthma stuff. But, I can't focus on that, and I just have to deal with the fact that this is the situation now.
Also, the day after the hospital a water pipe broke in the wall and gushed for 2 hours before Mimi figured out how to turn off the water valve. (I'm glad she was there, though, it could have been WAY worse if it had gushed all day). David's room had all kinds of damage. So, I spent the majority of the next night pulling out drywall, wet insulation, a basebored, and pulling up the carpet. I put fans on it all and it's all dried out now. I left the mess to be cleaned up another day.
David is doing better now. He went back to school today. He's still on some of his meds. He was originally on an antibiotic, oral steriod, and albuterol in the nebulizer. Now he is just on albuterol and a steriod in the nebulizer. He's still wheezing some, but not nearly as bad as he was. I can tell he is on the 'uphill'. I just have to say thank you to Mimi, I don't know what I would have done last week without her!
4 comments:
What an awful week! Don't feel guilty about asthma ...Bryce isn't in daycare and he still gets colds ALL the time, has a nebulizer + abuteral for when he wheezes (linked to the excema and food allergies) I don't think it can be prevented, some kids have a propensity for it!
Hope your week goes better...you need a vacation!!
I am SO sorry Amy!! You poor thing, and poor David... don't feel guilty- any child could have Asthma. You are such a good mom... I would have had a stroke if all that had happened to me while mark was away. SUPER MOM!!
oh man, Amy, that sounds horrible. I am so sorry. Wow, I hope he continues to feel better.
Amy, I'm so sorry this all happened while I was away. I am proud of the way you took care of everything, though. Especially the way you took the initiative to rip out the dry wall, wet insulation and baseboard. Go Amy!
Post a Comment