Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hemp Milk

I'm going to give you the short version of a very long story. For the past three weeks David has been having 2 episodes a day of explosive diarriah. After many stool samples and an x-ray, it was determined that David's problem was that he actually had severe constipation. HUH? Apparently, he had hard poop lodged in his colon that wouldn't come out and the only stuff that could get out was the diarriah around the poop that was lodged in his colon. NICE! Well, at the end of last week we had this medically taken care of. And, the reason for my post is, at one point the doctor determined that either his problem was 1- lactose intolerance or 2- hard poop lodged in his colon. Before we found out #2 was actually the problem I was brainstorming milk alternatives. And, even though he's probably NOT lactose intolerant, I've become extremely found of the idea of making my own Hemp milk. It's one of the highest sources of Omega 3's and 6's. I've decided I'm going to give it a try. I'm ordering the seeds online. I'm going to mix 1 cup of seeds with 5 cups of water and some honey and some vanilla and blend and then strain in cheesecloth (I'm buying on amazon). I might have to do some tweaking to make it tasty. Even if I can't get him to take it all the time, I'd love for him to drink at least one cup a day.

3 comments:

Kimberly Wilmas said...

You are such a good mommy!!! Justin and I are expecting our first baby Jan 7th!!!

Zach said...

In other news, Amy is now a hippy. I expect free love and drum circles to follow. Just kidding you sweetie. The hemp milk tastes nutty, but it may grow on me.

Natalie said...

I am curious to try this Hemp Milk! I have also heard that making your own almond milk is possible and i have been curious to try!