Monday, January 7, 2008

Head Scratching



Within the past month David has become a professional head scratcher. We call his left hand his 'danger hand' because he always lifts it up to scratch his head. He usually scrathes when he is tired, waking up, hungry, or the even the slightest bit uncomfortable. Because of this we have to keep mits on him at night and I know they keep mits on him all day at day care. I feel bad about this because I know he is discovering his hands and toys and touching things at this age. But, if we don't use the mits we end up with a bloody mess with scratches all over his head and blood on his sleeve. I thought he would grow out of this, but it's been happening for over a month now. Is this normal? Does anyone have any suggestions? My poor little man!

In other news, we have started David on baby food! We use rice cereal mixed with Apple Juice (AJ to help with his contipation problem- recommended by the doctor) and he likes it ok. He will eat everything we put in his mouth but sometimes makes sour faces. We have also tried vegetables and he loves them. His favorites are peas and sweet potatoes. We decided to do veggies before fruit and last night for the first time we tried pears. I thought he would love them becuase he has loved the veggies and they say babies love fruits. However, this was the first time I litterally could not get him to eat. He spit out everything I did get in his mouth (and he was in a good mood). For some reason, he hated the pears. I'll just have to try again later! As you can imagine, the mess involved with baby food is much greater than that involved with bottles. We have never really had to use bibs before, but we definitly have to with the baby food. I was expecting the mess, but Zach was shocked at the mess. It was so funny! I said it's only going to get worse from here! Just wait until he starts using his hands and plays with food!

2 comments:

jane said...

thats so funny about the pears! they are elisha's all time favorites! i gave them to him pretty early on to help w/ constipation. my doc said that rice cereal will cause constipation and to do oatmeal or barley instead... but we have started skipping it altogether... in fact e. has continued to be constipated @ times so i am cutting back on solids and only doing a little fruit once a day. some babies systems aren't ready for solids until ~ 9 months. we americans start solids early.
your little one is so cute! its fun to keep up this way!

Fainfamilyupdates said...

Bryce likes to scratch his face too! And I'm horrible about cutting his nails, I did it today because he is going to the pediatrician Friday and I didn't want her to notice! He rubs his eyes alot when he gets tired and I worry that he'll damage them!