Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Blood Test for Thyroid
I finally agreed to let my doctor test my thyroid with a blood test. A couple of my doctors have recommended it (for varying reasons including extreme fatigue, migraines, irregular periods, etc..) including my regular doctor and my gyn, but I haven't done it because of cost (it was going to cost me out of pocket 300 dollars). I wanted a cheaper way to test. So, the one doctor recommended I measure my body temperature for some days and if it came back low that I should spend the money on the test. The temp. came back low and I took the test and as it turns out my thyroid doesn't produce enough hormones, but just slightly out of the normal range. Enough so that they want to put me on medicine. I don't know if I should take the hormones or not. The doctor said I could take a low does of the natural hormone kind (they make synthetic and natural). I haven't decided yet if I should take it. Any opinions out there? I don't like taking unessary medicines.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have a friend with a similar issue and it really helped her out...also my mom had thyroid issues when we were little and had part of hers removed. Anyway, I'd try it! If it helps great, if not its not a big loss!
hey amy! i got diagnosed with hashimoto's hypothyroidism my first year of college and got started on a hormone replacement. my moods got better, i stopped having to take naps every day, and i just feel all around so much better. i would absolutely 100% recommend taking the hormone. it takes a couple of months to kick in, so don't expect a change right a way. keep me posted on what you decide and let me know if you have any other questions about it! love ya
Isn't this the same as bc? I thought bc was just synthetic hormones... I say take it if it is going to make you feel better! Who wants to live life exhausted all the time? Love ya!
Hey Amy,
Aunt Carol here....I have the same thing and have been on Synthroid for about a year...no side affects and I do have more energy. I am not sure about the armour brand...that is made from pig! ugh, sounds and smells nasty...
Post a Comment